Pages

Saturday, February 7, 2015

Edgar Allan Poe Museum in Richmond, Virginia

I was in the great Capitol City of Virginia, Richmond, last fall and had some free time so thought I'd visit the Poe Museum. I didn't know that there was such a thing until recently. Knowing that he's one of the most well-known of American authors, I definitely wanted to learn more about him. What could this museum have about this inventor of the modern detective story and teller of tales of terror and writer of haunting lyric poetry? Plenty!! It has the world's largest collection of manuscript letters, personal belongings and memorabilia. He was born in Boston but lived in Richmond many years and had his first journalism job there, not far from the museum. I enjoyed my visit there!

The front door of the museum, the oldest standing house in Richmond, probably built in 1737.

2 black cats live at the museum, found one day in the back of the garden. How curious to be there at a museum for the teller of  frightening tales!

statue of Poe in the garden

the garden

6 comments:

  1. Some inspiration in this quiet place ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see etchings illustrating Poe's dark tales! Sometimes people say that my little cemetary etching with the crow reminds them of Poe.
    Yes, I liked this quiet place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, I was inspired by some French cemetary photos and thought to add birds!
    :-)
    But I'm thinking that I'd like to read some Poe.

    ReplyDelete