Pages

Sunday, November 25, 2012

Bird Paper Sculpture

I have this beautiful paper sculpture that I purchased at a gallery in Florida a few years ago. It's so delicate. Love it! And looks different under various lighting conditions.
Each piece in a paper sculpture is painstakingly cut and separated by hand with very sharp scissors and knives and sometimes color is applied and texture embossed or engraved using special tools. I read that paper sculpture has existed for about 2000 years, beginning with the Chinese invention of paper in the first century.
Somehow I've misplaced the artist's name, although I'm not sure I ever had  it. I can't believe I don't have it!
It makes me think of Origami, which isn't exactly the same thing but I'm impressed with anyone who can do amazing things with paper!

No comments:

Post a Comment